Tuesday, September 16, 2014

drinking games and teaching math

so I just played a drinking game with the children.  Don't worry, it didn't include adult beverages.  I did it to teach MJ multiples of  three.  
I hauled Samantha and max into a circle along with myself and MJ and we sat.  We took turns around the circle counting from 1-whatever number, and whenever we hit a multiple of 3 we had to "buzz".
So MJ said "1"
I said "2"
Sam buzzed.
Max "4"
MJ "5"
I buzzed.  
So forth and so on.

Another thing MJ has done is in her notebook she took red and black pens and wrote in a column numbers from 1-30.  All numbers that aren't multiples of 3 were black.  All that are multiples of 3 are red.  So now she can look at the list at a glance and take all the multiples in while she hunts for the one to solve the problem she is working on currently.  

Ok- I have to get back to class.


--
Peace,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...