Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sprite meets a wild bird up close

I was outside clearing some leaves off the brick patio downstairs a few days ago. I came upstairs to find the back door off the kitchen open. Samantha sat doing math on the far couch. She casually said "hey, there's a bird in our house."
I thought she was just stating the obvious. Sprite. Of course he is in our house. She looked up into the skylight. And then the bird flew down and back up. It was a chickadee.
"He's pooping everywhere"
I went to grab a sheet to throw over the couch that she sat on under the skylight.
All at once it flew back out of the skylight and into the kitchen towards the window above the sink. He got trapped between a vase and the window. I threw a hand towel over he and the vase together and then I removed the vase slowly. I held him through the towel for a few seconds trying to decide what to do.
We decided that some time in the cage wouldn't be bad.
Sprite was on the chandelier so we had to coax him down. He didn't even want to land on his cage while this other bird was inside. But eventually he grew too curious.
We fed the bird some wild seed- I'm really surprised it actually took a few bites because he was pretty keyed up.
After calling the other kids in to see the bird and taking a few videos and more pictures- we let him go off the back porch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...