Monday, August 4, 2014

Snowball fights in august


We hiked a bit of Rainier's southern slope yesterday.  Leaving paradise lodge, we headed up the trail that tracked up and over the ridge towards the Nisqually Glacier.  A little over half a mile of hiking brought us to a little basin of snow.  I held a handful and thought about how long that snow had been hiding up there, beneath drifts, during winter storms and chilling winds.   a little cold white secret buried below up to 600 inches of snow, until now, the third of august- when it sits melting in my hand.  
The kids were so motivated and that helped the steep hike to go fast and well.  John needed some daddy-shoulder-ride help and Alice rode in the pack on my back but everyone else carried their weight.  
At the basin the kids found some fell branches that were smooth on one side and perfect for sledding- or impromptu snowboarding.  Some snowball fights were had.  Some slush puddle jumping too.   I was taking pictures of john slush puddle jumping when I got a cold slush ball to my neck.  It was a shock but it was such a nice cool relief from the hot day I just sat there and let it trickle down my back.  I turned and she had the expression of guilt- Samantha, sitting on the rock next to Chris.
The wild flowers were so simple and beautiful.  Edelweiss, lupine, and heather colored any slopes that weren't rocky or snowy.  We didn't spot any friendly marmot- the trail guide said it was too hot, but I distracted the girls by getting them to look for marmot holes.  
Hiking with littles is all about distraction.  Get them to focus on something other than the incline, their thirst, their hunger, and their shoes and you've got a pretty solid little hiker. Telling stories is what the older kids like.  I told a story I heard on the moth radio hour called "the drip".  It was sufficiently gruesome and had them hiking in a cluster about me waiting for the end.   
Now we are all in the van heading towards food.  We are all so hungry I think nobody is picky about where- just as long as it's recognizable as food and there is someone bringing water often.  

1 comment:

Sarah Faith said...

you live near that amazingness?? wow west coast has its perks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...