Monday, June 29, 2009

home is where...

my bed is. also, i kind of like to cook so i enjoy having some basic cooking tools. cast iron pots, good knives, healthy food. we could live in a tent and if i had my bed and a place to cut and prepare and cook good food for my family i'd be home.
when it comes to church going i'm pretty similar. on most weekends we run about town. i think this summer i have yet to go to the same church two weekends in a row. yes, we have a church home, but when it comes to sunday worship, home is where the sacraments are. i do enjoy visiting all the churches in our area. also i like to visit different churches when on vacation. the core of the mass is always the same and very comfortingly familiar, but the choices in music, vestments, decoration, and church building all vary.
when i was in the summer before my senior year in high school christina and i went on a tour of the shrines in canada. we went with a youth group out of father tom's church in virginia. it was so neat and VERY beautiful. i would love to take my kids on a pilgrimage type tour of shrines and beautiful churches. whenever we get over to europe i know that will be a priority for me.
i'm just so thankful to be catholic. i a member of the universal church and will always find my home no matter how far i wander.

4 comments:

Maryan said...

Was that WYD too? I missed that trip... I wasn't brave enough to take my 9 month old on a pilgrimage. Besides Dan, my sister Robyn, my brother Tom, and my niece Mary Kate went on that one.

Maryan said...

And as I post all that -- I'm pretty sure that Fr.'s parish went with Seton! And I think Pat and Chris must have gone too? They're not in my pictures though...

elizabeth said...

it wasn't wyd. i watched that from home. it was way back in '95 i think. i remember my first nephew was born while we were away. his birthday is july 14th and he'll be 14. i remember hearing the news of his birth just before mass in alexandria. we were set to leave after mass. i heard a baby cry during mass and it made me tear up, i was so happy.
that trip was incredible. such beauty. such tradition.

Maryan said...

Oh brain blip! I forgot about that trip! My sister got married that summer, so I spent the summer in CT to help my folks get the house ready for it. I couldn't think of another trip that Father took to Canada --but the WYD trip was too recent, come to think of it. I never stopped hearing about Quebec thereafter!! Grew up in NE, went to school in NH (with Fr. Kevin his freshman year)... and I've never been to Canada! LOL! Someday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...