Monday, March 27, 2017

A baby quilt for Damien

My newest nephew!
And I started it last August.
And everything is hand stitched on it except for the bias binding piecing (I did the 5 yards from a 1/4 of a yard trick- though I used two quarters) and the front side of the binding. I tacked the back down by hand, pieced by hand, and hand quilted the rest.
I cut all the pieces and laid them on the floor and took a picture. Then I gridded it out on a photo app I have so I could reference it. I then collected each grouping of triangles that formed a square and numbered them. I bagged each square in a ziplock with a post-it labeling the square with the corresponding number.
I kept all the baggies in my closet and would take them out one at a time to piece. I'd return the completed square and post it to the baggie and swap it out for an incomplete square. So eventually I had complete squares bagged and labeled in my closet after a few weeks.
The bagging was so I could organize and I could throw a bag into my purse- complete with a spool, some straight pins, and a needle. If I was out all day I would throw 3 bags into my day bag.
Once all the bags were complete and pieced I joined all the squares in rows. Then all the rows together using my app to help me "build the puzzle".
I added some stripping all around to make the quilt bigger and then went for some fabric that could bind it all together nicely. I quilted on a hoop while I sat and schooled the kids. I LOVE hand sewing! Not sitting at the machine is so freeing!
Oh and I LOVE the backing fabric. I actually picked it out first and then went and picked out the front colors. I didn't know he was going to be a nephew and nota niece so I wanted something beautiful and gender neutral. The sky and space was a nice theme I thought.
A sunrise brightening a dark sky. I prayed he would be that to the world- this newest little gift from God.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...