Monday, November 2, 2009

super moms

ok. i'm feeling a little down. i just can't keep up. we are involved in a homeschooling co-op and the older kids are involved in scouts. i'm the primary shuttler, nagger, and sponser for the kids for these programs with little to no support.
what makes matters worse is that there are super moms who sign up for committee X, committee Y, and committee Z. these super moms have three kids at most. their youngest kids are 8 years old at least. the super moms show up to functions looking perky, well slept, make up and hair in the right shape and color- clothes without stain, spit-up or diaper malfunction.
they come fairly flitting up to me and say, "would you keep track of service hours? just tally it up for the girls. it's such an easy job it almost does itself."
that's for me! i say.
then the emails start coming.
have you called the nursing home to see what kind of snacks to bring and what kind of games to play?
could you put together a budget for the upcoming service event?
call this charity and organize an outing for early spring.

i reach for the brown bag and start huffing. typing this post is making my chest tight.
i asked for help and two nice super moms stepped forward. one mom came to me and said, "oh, i know it's alot on your plate. it's alot on my plate but i just suck it up and do it."
oh- really, is that how it's done? i spent two days in anguish- trying to figure just what part of my life to suck up. then just now i had a revelation.
"self", i said. "you need to figure out just how many kids this super mom has- maybe that will put things into perspective."
so i did. i checked the database for this group and low and behold she has 2 whopping kids. her youngest being 10!!!! 10!!! she wipes her own butt!!!!
ok. my chest isn't so tight anymore. i have a little dignity left. i'll scrape it up and pile the kids into the car and drive to scouts with a new breath of certainty that my life isn't like theirs, and i don't regret it one tiny bit.

8 comments:

Emily Snow said...

You are a super mom..
I began to get overwhelmed while helping as a committee chairperson on Voices for Life. I finally had to say.. " this isn't my season for this," I have passion for it, but I need to be with my kids more right now. So I stepped down.
I've learned it is okay to say No. Your time is precious right now while taking care of the best little group.. yours!!

elizabeth said...

thanks emily! i'm feeling lots better. it's been a tough week. i feel like the devil is using my imagination to make simple tasks seem insurmountable. tomorrow us another day.

Anonymous said...

you both rock in my book! I love you both, and you are doing an amazing job with your families. Remember, the hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world! Keep rocking!

Sue said...

As Emily said, there is a season for everything, and everything in its season. Don't feel guilty about saying "no," Liz. Your plate is already full, and you're doing a fantastic job. Anyone who is around your kids for a few minutes can tell that!

Helen said...

Sorry, I think I sent a comment that didn't say what I meant. I mean that you get more done with six kids in one day than I get done in a week with just one.

elizabeth said...

helen, I didn't see your other comment- but thank you for being so sweet.
you all are so great! thanks for filling my tank!

kevin, I think you made scouts easy on mom. the kids we were blessed with didn't come with your motivation. i think I was deluded into thinking that scouts made you into who you are when i'm starting to believe that it was mostly just God making you that way.
and when are you going to start blogging again?

REGINA said...

I agree with all the above! Just stay home and be with your kids and school them your way! And if they need the SOCIALIZATION just call their Aunt & cousins down the street and the playground we will meet!! YEAH! We can track the hours they spend be charitable to each other! LOL!

Michelle Frank said...

you are a super mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...